Sunday, July 10, 2011

First grocery shop and dinner


So today was our first grocery shop using our new dietary restrictions.  It was much easier since we did our learning trip yesterday.  Also on the way to do our shopping we stopped at Barnes and Noble and picked up a great low sodium cookbook (it even has a pizza recipe, which is my husbands favorite food).  The cookbook also has great recipes for spice mixes like taco seasoning and I can make our own soy sauce (which is another one of his favorites).  I’m pretty excited to go through the cookbook and find and try all of these recipes, or most of them.

So today we stopped at Whole Foods and got all the stuff we couldn’t find at our Kroger Marketplace.  We were able to buy both hard and soft shells for tacos that have 0mg of sodium!  I’m so glad we live in a city big enough to have both of these stores so close to home.  I couldn’t imagine living in a small town and driving hours or just ordering all the food online.

So tonight we decided to have our meatless tacos that came from my Better Homes and Gardens The New Cookbook: Special Edition.  I of course had to make some minor changes to the recipe in order for it to be lower sodium.  This recipe is super easy and delicious and tasted much better than I thought with the lower sodium substitutes.  I even used my new cookbook to make the taco seasoning with spices that I already have.  Here’s my adaptation of the recipe from the cookbook:

¼ cup of Bulger  (cook Bulger with ¾ cup of water till it boils, and simmer, covered for 15 minutes)
Then add 1 8-ounce can of no salt added tomato sauce and 2 teaspoons of the homemade taco seasoning.  Simmer till heated through.

Here’s the taco seasoning recipe from the cookbook 500 Low Sodium Recipes:

2 teaspoons of chili powder, all-purpose flour, cumin, and dried oregano
½ teaspoon of onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper
I put all of these ingredients in a plastic bag and shake till blended (I put all of mine in a small Rubbermaid container for easier storage)

This entire recipe here consisted of 168mg of sodium.  Our taco shells were 0mg and ¼ cup of Mexican blend cheese was a 170mg, 2 tablespoons of light sour cream were 35mg and 1 ½ cups of lettuce is 10mg.  The taco mix will fill a total of 10 tacos for a grand total of 60mg of sodium for each taco!

We also bought some organic oat bran pancake mix and we have to go back to get some maple syrup that doesn’t have sodium.  The one big thing that I hope I can find a recipe for or come up with is a really low sodium salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment