Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Homemade Enchilada Sauce

So tonight we finally used our low sodium cookbook for dinner (and we even picked out dinner for tomorrow night).  Tonight we decided to do enchiladas.  I used the recipe for enchilada sauce from the cookbook and used our 0mg sodium tortillas.  The sauce has to simmer for an hour and is very simple to make.  I think it’s a total of 8-10 ingredients, and I doubled up on the spices (something I’ve been learning).  Here’s the sauce:

I decided to puree the sauce when it was finished because I don’t like chunky sauces.  The one thing I don’t like about the tortillas, besides the taste, is that they are hard and break and crack very easily.  I had to warm them up in the microwave with dame paper towels so that I could work with them.  I filled mine with cheese and Clay’s with cheese and diced chicken.  I poured the sauce on them and cooked them for 15 minutes at 375°.  Here’s how they turned out:

So when we started scooping them up from the dish they quickly fell apart and this is what our enchiladas looked like on our plate:

They completely disintegrated.  I guess salt is a glue of some sort, who knows?  But they were really good.  Next time we’ll be doing a casserole type of layering with the cheese and tortillas.  But I’m pretty sure that if I had friends over and cooked with this enchilada sauce they would have no idea that it was low sodium (sauce=5mg of sodium and yields 16 servings).  I think we only used about half of the sauce for a total of 40mg of sodium for the sauce.  Of course the cheese was about 510 (for 3 enchiladas) and the total amount of sodium was roughly 530mg.  Not too bad.

We stopped by our local Kroger today (not the super one) and they have all the low sodium items that we need.  While we were there I also looked to see if they had the no sodium beef bouillon, which they only had chicken.  I need the no sodium beef to try to make soy sauce.  I also looked for the no sodium baking soda and powder and they didn’t have it either.  I’m probably going to look at Whole Foods and Fresh Market and if they don’t have it then I’ll have to order it online.  I really want to make these mocha muffins for breakfast soon.  Each muffin only has 23mg of sodium.

So tomorrow I’m going to be making some stuffed pasta shells and will be using our spiced up spaghetti sauce.  Hopefully it turns out well.  We’ll see tomorrow. 






No comments:

Post a Comment