Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Smoke Out


So I made black bean burgers tonight and the only sodium in the patty itself was from the egg, which is only 65mg per one egg, and I made 5 patties so that’s a total of like 13mg of sodium per patty!  The whole-wheat buns have 190mg and I don’t know about the cheese because I already threw the packaging away.  But it’s way less than 500mg per burger total, and that’s not bad.  I also substituted the chili powder with the Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime seasoning.  It was really good with that seasoning in it.  I think next time I may try the extra spicy seasoning.

I also made my own french fries from scratch.  I used the Mrs. Dash tomato basil garlic blend to season the fries.  They actually turned out pretty good.  Here’s a pic of our dinner from tonight:
Oh, and I'm not sure, but I don't think Canola Oil is really made to do much cooking on the stove because I totally smoked up the WHOLE house.  Riley HATES smoke and she bolted outside and stayed.  We finally had to open a window and turn on a fan to get it all out.  I'm surprised the smoke alarms didn't go off.

I also forgot that we bought the Mrs. Dash table blend yesterday too.  Today I stopped by Kroger to pick up the instant coffee and chocolate chips for my mocha muffins.  I also found 2 different flavors of the Mrs. Dash marinades so I bought them both (Spicy Teriyaki and Zesty Garlic Herb).  I also found pizza yeast, which has 0mg of sodium, but it requires ¾ teaspoon of salt.  So I called Clay to have him look up how much sodium is in 1 serving of salt.  It’s insane.  1 teaspoon of salt has 2400mg of sodium!!!!  WOW!  Sooooooo we decided to try using a salt substitute, which has 0mg of sodium.  I’m not sure how it will work since baking is like chemistry and the salt and the salt substitute don’t have the same chemical makeup.  We’ll see how it turns out tomorrow.
I know I’ve been talking about Mrs. Dash in almost all of my blog posts, but it really has been a lifesaver when it comes to making food taste great.  I even dreamed about Mrs. Dash last night and how I walked into this store that has shelves upon shelves of seasonings and marinades all in alphabetical order.  But I guess that’s better than the dream I had Monday night about being in a tornado.  




No comments:

Post a Comment